Thread: Using a system DSN pointing to a dbf file on a network drive fails

Erik Guest

Using a system DSN pointing to a dbf file on a network drive fails

I'm able to configure a system DSN pointing to a dbf file that resides on my local drives fine. When directing DSN to the same dbf file located on a mapped drive the following error is presented:

Error # = 80040E37
    Description = [Microsoft][ODBC dBase Driver] The Microsoft Jet database engine could not find the object 'DsnName'. Make sure the object exists and that you spell its name and the path name correctly.
    Source = Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers
    SQL State = S0002
    NativeError = -1305

Hitting refresh after will always bring up:

Provider error '80004005'

Unspecified error

Everything is the same except the location of the dbf file. I have full network rights to the file and have set the DSN page time out higher than the default of 600.

thanks in advance!

John Guest

Using a system DSN pointing to a dbf file on a network drive fails (reply)

Hi Erik,

MS has always acknowleged that having DSN's that point to remove drives don't work the same as local ones. The same problem has been seen with Access MDB files too.

Try the same program with the pureasp.asp program and see if it can read from the remote data source. If not, then the problem is for sure not ASP-db, but an ODBC driver problem. Check with MS and see if they have an article or support knowledge base item on this.

Thanks,
    John

------------
    Erik at 3/12/01 2:45:21 PM

I'm able to configure a system DSN pointing to a dbf file that resides on my local drives fine. When directing DSN to the same dbf file located on a mapped drive the following error is presented:

Error # = 80040E37
    Description = [Microsoft][ODBC dBase Driver] The Microsoft Jet database engine could not find the object 'DsnName'. Make sure the object exists and that you spell its name and the path name correctly.
    SQL State = S0002
    NativeError = -1305

Unspecified error

Everything is the same except the location of the dbf file. I have full network rights to the file and have set the DSN page time out higher than the default of 600.

thanks in advance!

Tim Guest

I had this problem some time ago and thought I got around it somehow. I remember there is a "Network" button on some ODBC driver configuration screens designed specifically for this purpose no ? I've checked my Microsoft Access driver and that indeed seems to work fine. No idea about the DBF one however.

Best of luck.

Tim

------------
    John at 3/12/01 9:37:26 PM

Hi Erik,

MS has always acknowleged that having DSN's that point to remove drives don't work the same as local ones. The same problem has been seen with Access MDB files too.

Try the same program with the pureasp.asp program and see if it can read from the remote data source. If not, then the problem is for sure not ASP-db, but an ODBC driver problem. Check with MS and see if they have an article or support knowledge base item on this.

Thanks,
    John

------------

Error # = 80040E37
    SQL State = S0002
    NativeError = -1305

Unspecified error

thanks in advance!

Frank Kwong Guest

Correct, using remote drives as datasource donot work well. might as well go to SQL class product if that is the way your bussines is configured. Remember that if MS-SQL or Oracle is too expensive then yo ucan use the FREE MySQL. It is the fastest because there is no advanced stuff like SP, views, triggers etc... just plain tables

FK

------------
    Tim at 3/12/01 11:24:31 PM

I had this problem some time ago and thought I got around it somehow. I remember there is a "Network" button on some ODBC driver configuration screens designed specifically for this purpose no ? I've checked my Microsoft Access driver and that indeed seems to work fine. No idea about the DBF one however.

Best of luck.

Tim

------------
    John at 3/12/01 9:37:26 PM

Hi Erik,

Thanks,
    John

------------

Error # = 80040E37
    SQL State = S0002
    NativeError = -1305

Unspecified error

thanks in advance!