Thread: SQL Mail Permissions issue

Yelena Guest

SQL Mail Permissions issue

We are using SQL 7.0.

We use SQL mail a great deal and it appears to have broken due to a weird permissions issue. Our SQL server runs under the context of our domain account (NorthTest). This account is an administrator on this box. All administrators on this box have SA rights on the SQL server. This account up until a few days ago was able to send all of our SQL mail just fine. Now it is able to send SQL mail without a query, but as soon as you try to execute xp_sendmail with a query it fails. The job logs report "unable to log into SQL server". If I attach to the SQL server using my credentials and execute the job, everything works fine and the mail is sent by NorthTest. If I attach to the SQL server using NorthTest's credentials and execute the job, the job fails reporting "unable to log into SQL server".
    Changing the SQL sever service, the agent service and the mail profile to my account completely fixes this problem, but I really don't want our automated mail going out under my credentials, with my return address on it.
    I have confirmed that NorthTest account has permissions in the master db and has execute permission on xp_sendmail.
    Please, help.

thanks a lot,

Yelena

Yelena Guest

SQL Mail Permissions issue (reply)

Thank you Markus,
    I will check this out, thought it still can send sql mail but only without query, wich make me think that account is still valid.

------------
    Markus at 1/23/01 3:14:53 AM

Yelena,

It seems like the account you use can't log into SQL server anymore. Maybe test in Query Analyzer if you can connect as North/Test. If the account still exists, maybe someone changed the password.

Markus

------------
    Yelena at 1/22/01 3:44:05 PM

We are using SQL 7.0.

We use SQL mail a great deal and it appears to have broken due to a weird permissions issue. Our SQL server runs under the context of our domain account (NorthTest). This account is an administrator on this box. All administrators on this box have SA rights on the SQL server. This account up until a few days ago was able to send all of our SQL mail just fine. Now it is able to send SQL mail without a query, but as soon as you try to execute xp_sendmail with a query it fails. The job logs report "unable to log into SQL server". If I attach to the SQL server using my credentials and execute the job, everything works fine and the mail is sent by NorthTest. If I attach to the SQL server using NorthTest's credentials and execute the job, the job fails reporting "unable to log into SQL server".
    Changing the SQL sever service, the agent service and the mail profile to my account completely fixes this problem, but I really don't want our automated mail going out under my credentials, with my return address on it.
    I have confirmed that NorthTest account has permissions in the master db and has execute permission on xp_sendmail.
    Please, help.

thanks a lot,

Yelena