Thread: what reaps the sorrow of MS SQL 2000?

Exclamation what reaps the sorrow of MS SQL 2000?

Well okay.. my boss wants me to use ASP, and a SQL back end. i asked him why not use PHP, and MySQL?

so this is what he said.. in an essence

"well if you leave, no one here at the office knows how to code php or run linux/mysql."

great.... not that i mind learning new things but i have heard some pretty bad stuff about sql2000... anyways... whatever...

this is my problem.

i have an assignment, i need to make a flash/html front end [no problem with that].. with an ASP middle, and a MS-SQL back end that loads pictures for a company who sells perfume.

pretty easy i thought, until i tried to install MS SQL 2K.. which shows how much i still dont know about windows applications..

i installed the program... now.. my question is.. does this just run as a simple "startup" service? or do you have to load the server each time at boot? i looked through the component services in the registry.. and couldnt find SQL.. anywhere.. so i must have done something wrong.

any ideas on how i !@#$ed this up?

Yes, it runs as service. You can find it in administrative tools -> services. Ensure set it start automatically. Go through sql books online that installed on the server with sql service by default, you'll find it helps a lot.

thanks.. im sure i'll have more questions later.