Thread: SQL 2000 DTS Help Needed

Question SQL 2000 DTS Help Needed

I have created several DTS packages that are exectued by a COM application on receiving the text source files from the data source. The problem I am having is that if the source file is empty I receive the error "Error creating datafile mapping: The volume for a file has been externally altered so that the opened file is no longer valid". If the package fails then the calling application returns an error too. I am wondering if it is possible to have a dts package succeed if it receives an empty file, or if I can create an activeX step at the beginning of the package to check the size.

Thanks,
    Steve

Maybe can try it with xp_getfiledetails.

Is it possible in the DTS Designer to make a subsequent task execute dependent on query results?

Yes with workflow, or add as job step if you run it as task.

One option is to use an activex task to check whether the file exists using the file system object.

You could also use the dynamic properties tasks to control flow. I use this in conjunction with an activex task to control what a package does when processing optional files. The activex script sets a global variable which I use in the dynamic properties task to conditionally enable/disable other tasks

Cheers
    Stephen