Thread: SQL Clustering-NT vs W2K?

Marcfw Guest

SQL Clustering-NT vs W2K?

We are in the process of consolidating all our SQL6.5 and SQL7 databases to a single SQL 7 server - once completed we want to setup a 2 node SQL7/2000 cluster on either NT4 Enterprise or W2k Advanced Server. I would therefore appreciate any advice in choosing between the two platforms based on cost, ease of setup & configuration and ongoing reliabilty & uptime etc - we currently have no NT4 Enterprise Servers so would have to purchase these licenses anyway. Correct me if I am wrong but I also understand that setting up a cluster on NT4 Enterprise is considerabely more complicated and time consuming than on W2K Advanced Server? Any advice would be greatly appreciated..

regards
    Marcfw

Venka Reddy V Guest

SQL Clustering-NT vs W2K? (reply)

Hi,

It is better to cluster on w2k than on NT. On windowsNT we have to update service packs for clustering of SQLserver7/2000. regarding shared disck sysytem, It is better if you go for RAID5 partitions on shared disck system.

------------
    Marcfw at 11/20/2001 5:30:55 AM

We are in the process of consolidating all our SQL6.5 and SQL7 databases to a single SQL 7 server - once completed we want to setup a 2 node SQL7/2000 cluster on either NT4 Enterprise or W2k Advanced Server. I would therefore appreciate any advice in choosing between the two platforms based on cost, ease of setup & configuration and ongoing reliabilty & uptime etc - we currently have no NT4 Enterprise Servers so would have to purchase these licenses anyway. Correct me if I am wrong but I also understand that setting up a cluster on NT4 Enterprise is considerabely more complicated and time consuming than on W2K Advanced Server? Any advice would be greatly appreciated..

regards
    Marcfw