Thread: Database recovering... for almost 4 days now.

Stef De Vos Guest

Database recovering... for almost 4 days now.

Hello,

on a database of about 30GB in total, a query was in rollback when the database was shut down. The query inserted data, but failed because the disk filled up.
    The server was restarted and the entire database went into recovery.
    This was about 4 days ago.
    Any ideas how long it should take the database to get back on-line? Can I assume the recovery will never complete?

Stef

nr Guest

Database recovering... for almost 4 days now. (reply)

Have a look at the physical IO under NT and for the recovery spid (I think that's available). These will probably show that the server isn't doing anything.
    Try stopping and erstarting the server - this will probably mean killing it but wait for all other connection to stop first. This often recovers the database quickly if it's stuck.

------------
    Stef De Vos at 8/22/00 8:14:48 AM

Hello,

on a database of about 30GB in total, a query was in rollback when the database was shut down. The query inserted data, but failed because the disk filled up.
    Any ideas how long it should take the database to get back on-line? Can I assume the recovery will never complete?

Stef

Chris Guest

Database recovering... for almost 4 days now. (reply)

Ihad the same problem at a .com company. We ended up calling Microsoft and they had us go through about 40 diffent commands at the command prompt, then ended up telling us that we had to format and reconfigure the server. FYI - OUR DB was in recovery for about 4-5 days.

I would call Microsoft's Help Desk support first before I format the thing. I tried every trick in the book that I was aware of.

Best of luck

------------
    Stef De Vos at 8/22/00 8:14:48 AM

Hello,

Stef