Thread: Dump multiple DBs to single device

Bill Guest

Dump multiple DBs to single device

I'm having trouble doing backups of several databases (on a single server) to one device (a disk file).
    I created a script with each DUMP statement and when I run it from the query window, it works
    just fine. But when I create a stored procedure out of the same script, I get errors because the
    second DUMP statement is trying to access the device that is already being written to by the
    first DUMP statement.

If I split them apart into different stored procedures, then they seem to overwrite each other and
    I end up with only the last database backed up.

I'm trying to put this into a task and that is why I need to put it into stored procedures.

Is there a synchronous/asynchronous setting or parameter that I should be using? For now, I'm
    just dumping each to separate devices, but this is a little sumbersome, since I have four
    databases to backup for each day of the week. Which gives me a total of 28 separate
    devices.

I'm sure there is a better way of doing this. Does anyone have any suggestions. Thank you in
    advance.

Ray Miao Guest

Dump multiple DBs to single device (reply)

The better way is dump every db onto its own device every day, you need only 4 devices. I don't know why you need 28 devices. Your first dump should use option 'with init', after that use 'with noinit'.

------------
    Bill at 3/27/00 11:40:54 AM

I'm having trouble doing backups of several databases (on a single server) to one device (a disk file).
    I created a script with each DUMP statement and when I run it from the query window, it works
    just fine. But when I create a stored procedure out of the same script, I get errors because the
    second DUMP statement is trying to access the device that is already being written to by the
    first DUMP statement.

If I split them apart into different stored procedures, then they seem to overwrite each other and
    I end up with only the last database backed up.

I'm trying to put this into a task and that is why I need to put it into stored procedures.

Is there a synchronous/asynchronous setting or parameter that I should be using? For now, I'm
    just dumping each to separate devices, but this is a little sumbersome, since I have four
    databases to backup for each day of the week. Which gives me a total of 28 separate
    devices.

I'm sure there is a better way of doing this. Does anyone have any suggestions. Thank you in
    advance.