Thread: DTS - many files to import - a question on SWYNK Article

jeannine Guest

DTS - many files to import - a question on SWYNK Article

There is something in a SWYNK article I do not understand. There is a demo of a DTS import to manage many files in a directory. I do not understand what they mean by this line:

"Load both packages and save as Server packages "

How do you do this? I see a couple of files that came with the ZIP package

DTSDirDemo-Import.dts
    DTSDirDemo-Loop.dts

I assume these are the ones you load and save as ...

(my ignorance) How do you do this?

thanks
    Jeannine

Ashwin Guest

DTS - many files to import - a question on SWYNK Article (reply)

Hi Jeannine,
    I think what the article means is that the packages you download are structured file packages.First in order to open them, you would need to save them locally to your hard drive.
    Then open the packages using the DTS designer and then click on Save As and make sure that you choose the location as SQL Server from the drop down box.
    This will save the package locally to your SQL server.
    By saving packages locally, SQL'ers mean that saving it to your local SQL server.
    Hope this clears things up.

------------
    jeannine at 9/26/00 4:01:51 PM

There is something in a SWYNK article I do not understand. There is a demo of a DTS import to manage many files in a directory. I do not understand what they mean by this line:

DTSDirDemo-Import.dts
    DTSDirDemo-Loop.dts

thanks
    Jeannine

jeannine Guest

Actually this is the problem, I am unclear on the mechanics of how to use the DTS Designer to open the packages. I examined that thing over the course of a whole day, off and on, and could find nowhere to open a file. That was my first instinct to see if they had a File ... Open .... dialog .... BUT WHERE? How?

Thanks Ashwin.

------------
    Ashwin at 9/26/00 8:52:50 PM

Hi Jeannine,
    I think what the article means is that the packages you download are structured file packages.First in order to open them, you would need to save them locally to your hard drive.
    Then open the packages using the DTS designer and then click on Save As and make sure that you choose the location as SQL Server from the drop down box.
    By saving packages locally, SQL'ers mean that saving it to your local SQL server.

------------

DTSDirDemo-Import.dts
    DTSDirDemo-Loop.dts

thanks
    Jeannine

Janice Guest

Hi Jeannine,

In the Enterprise Manager, highlight Data Transformation Services, then click on Action (in the menu bar) --> All Tasks. There you will find Open Package... as an option. Hope this helps!

------------
    jeannine at 9/27/00 7:48:52 AM

Actually this is the problem, I am unclear on the mechanics of how to use the DTS Designer to open the packages. I examined that thing over the course of a whole day, off and on, and could find nowhere to open a file. That was my first instinct to see if they had a File ... Open .... dialog .... BUT WHERE? How?

Thanks Ashwin.

------------

Hi Jeannine,

------------

DTSDirDemo-Import.dts
    DTSDirDemo-Loop.dts

thanks
    Jeannine

Jeannine Guest

... and there it is indeed ....

thanks you guys!

------------
    Janice at 9/27/00 8:29:22 AM

Hi Jeannine,

In the Enterprise Manager, highlight Data Transformation Services, then click on Action (in the menu bar) --> All Tasks. There you will find Open Package... as an option. Hope this helps!

------------
    jeannine at 9/27/00 7:48:52 AM

Thanks Ashwin.

------------

Hi Jeannine,

------------

DTSDirDemo-Import.dts
    DTSDirDemo-Loop.dts

thanks
    Jeannine