Thread: DTS

Van Guest

DTS

I did create a DTS package to transform data from sQL Server 7 to MS Access successfully. However, how can this DTS package update automatically when a table from SQL Server is inserted, updated, or deleted rows. Your help would be much appreciated.

Glen Guest

DTS (reply)

Van, situation you describing is not very clear. Why did you create a DTS package? To update values on fly from SQL server to Access???
    DTS is not a solution for that.
    Why wouldn't you create a query in Access?
    There are 3 general solutions:
    1. Replace Access database with the linked tables from SQL 7. In this case, you wouldn't need any DTS oackages
    2. Use Access queries, so that when user is opening the Form ( or application ), - tablesa content will be refreshed
    3. Create a job on SQL server that will be executed every 1 sec and execute the DTS package that periodically ( crazy solution! But that how I understood wht you need :-))
    Good luck.

------------
    Van at 1/22/01 2:34:54 PM

I did create a DTS package to transform data from sQL Server 7 to MS Access successfully. However, how can this DTS package update automatically when a table from SQL Server is inserted, updated, or deleted rows. Your help would be much appreciated.

ram Guest

DTS (reply)

Glen was correct - I think it is a wise idea to create linked server. Alternatively you could create a trigger on the table for insert & Delete even for this you need to define linked server

ram

------------
    Glen at 1/22/01 4:08:08 PM

Van, situation you describing is not very clear. Why did you create a DTS package? To update values on fly from SQL server to Access???
    DTS is not a solution for that.
    Why wouldn't you create a query in Access?
    There are 3 general solutions:
    1. Replace Access database with the linked tables from SQL 7. In this case, you wouldn't need any DTS oackages
    2. Use Access queries, so that when user is opening the Form ( or application ), - tablesa content will be refreshed
    3. Create a job on SQL server that will be executed every 1 sec and execute the DTS package that periodically ( crazy solution! But that how I understood wht you need :-))
    Good luck.

------------
    Van at 1/22/01 2:34:54 PM