Thread: updates, inserts

Sridhar Raman Guest

updates, inserts

I have a number of columns with predefined character length but user can input more from gui. i want to trucncate automatically to the desired length and insert or update the database right now it does not allow me to update , or insert the values can i do it and how this is urgent

JK Guest

updates, inserts (reply)

Use convert functions... Suppose you have table called Employee which having Name char(50) length. But user enter 60 characters
    from Gui

UPDATE
    SET NAME = CONVERT(CHAR(50),@NAME)
    Thanks
    JK

------------
    Sridhar Raman at 1/22/01 11:44:21 AM

I have a number of columns with predefined character length but user can input more from gui. i want to trucncate automatically to the desired length and insert or update the database right now it does not allow me to update , or insert the values can i do it and how this is urgent

Greg G. Guest

updates, inserts (reply)

You could also set ansi_warnings off.
    Something like this.

SET ANSI_WARNINGS OFF
    GO
    INSERT INTO table (cola int, colb varchar(20)
    VALUES (1, 'This is only a test, this may help you!!!!!!&#39
    GO
    SET ANSI_WARNINGS ON

Make sure you turn the warnings back on after the Insert. This will truncate the data to the length of the field without errors.

Thanks
    Greg

------------
    JK at 1/22/01 12:28:42 PM

Use convert functions... Suppose you have table called Employee which having Name char(50) length. But user enter 60 characters
    from Gui

UPDATE
    SET NAME = CONVERT(CHAR(50),@NAME)
    Thanks
    JK

------------
    Sridhar Raman at 1/22/01 11:44:21 AM