Thread: Hash buckets (sp_configure)

Chris Fretwell Guest

Hash buckets (sp_configure)

Hi, I've been through Books Online, Technet, MSN and the archives on this site trying to get a difinite answer on this. Everything except Technet indicates a maximum configurable value of 265003. However in Technet, it says that if you are running the enterprise edition with more than 2GB of memory that you can configure this to a much higher number (their example is 700000). Using the calculation involving memory, and based on several dozen performance tests, we would like to set our value to around 666000 (using the prime number of course). However we cannot get SQL to accept any value over the default maximum.

Is Technet wrong? Are we missing something? I cant find any reference other than in Technet on being able to use the higher number.

Thanks in advance,
    Chris

Becky Meinert Guest

Hash buckets (sp_configure) (reply)

There is a command called DBCC BUFCOUNT that can be used when you have large amounts of
    memory. It is an undocumented command and you can find out more information about it by
    going to www.microsoft.com, select support then knowledge base and do a search on HASH BUCKEST
    Hope this helps.

------------
    Chris Fretwell at 5/15/00 2:09:21 PM

Hi, I've been through Books Online, Technet, MSN and the archives on this site trying to get a difinite answer on this. Everything except Technet indicates a maximum configurable value of 265003. However in Technet, it says that if you are running the enterprise edition with more than 2GB of memory that you can configure this to a much higher number (their example is 700000). Using the calculation involving memory, and based on several dozen performance tests, we would like to set our value to around 666000 (using the prime number of course). However we cannot get SQL to accept any value over the default maximum.

Is Technet wrong? Are we missing something? I cant find any reference other than in Technet on being able to use the higher number.

Thanks in advance,
    Chris