Thread: Extended Stored Procedure xp_fixeddrives

Kim Guest

Extended Stored Procedure xp_fixeddrives

We are on Windows 2000, SQL Server 2000, and a SAN. Our data and backups are located on the Storage Area Network.

I am attempting to restore a database with a backup on the SAN through Enterprise Manager. I selected 'From Device', 'Selected Devices'. SQL appears to hang. After looking at Current Activity, I have identified that it is running 'EXECUTE master.dbo.xp_fixeddrives 2'.

Are there any known problems with SQL Server 2000 and SAN? Has anyone encountered this error?

Thanks
    Kim

rogerjh Guest

Extended Stored Procedure xp_fixeddrives (reply)

Just tried that command on my server here (xp_fixeddrives 2) and it hung as well. I did this remotely, and on the remote server, a message box stated that there was no disk in Drive A: . When I clicked cancel in the message box, the statement stopped. Whatever the 2 argument on the end is, it is making SQL Server look at all drives, including the floppy and CD-ROM drives.

Not sure why this is happening, but I would suggest restoring using the RESTORE DATABASE command if you are only restoring the database - much fewer headaches.

------------
    Kim at 3/25/2002 10:47:00 AM

We are on Windows 2000, SQL Server 2000, and a SAN. Our data and backups are located on the Storage Area Network.

I am attempting to restore a database with a backup on the SAN through Enterprise Manager. I selected 'From Device', 'Selected Devices'. SQL appears to hang. After looking at Current Activity, I have identified that it is running 'EXECUTE master.dbo.xp_fixeddrives 2'.

Are there any known problems with SQL Server 2000 and SAN? Has anyone encountered this error?

Thanks
    Kim

rogerjh Guest

This is a bug:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q281345

------------

Thanks
    Kim

Ricky Artigas Guest

xp_fixeddrives is used to determine how much disk space is free. Its resultset includes the drive letter and the number of MB for the drives.
    HTH.

------------
    rogerjh at 3/25/2002 3:27:28 PM

This is a bug:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q281345

------------

Thanks
    Kim