Thread: Restore problem - database not in .bak file

derek Guest

Restore problem - database not in .bak file

I have to do a database restore from tape from a couple of months ago. When I look at the SQL scheduled task history all databases were sucesfully backed up to a .DAT file. However, when I look at the .DAT file which I have just retrieved from tape - the database which I am looking for isn't listed under the backup information, so I can't choose it to carry out the restore.

Has anyone seen this problem before?

What do I do?

Thanks

Derek

derek Guest

Restore problem - strange!

More strange things happening.

When ever I look at the .bak file through Enterprise Manager, the following error is recoreded in Event Viewer:

Mesg 18258 : dbsreadhdr: Read of first trailer failed : (null)

I can't find any record of this on Technet/Microsoft.

Any ideas? HELP!

------------
    derek at 3/25/2002 5:53:10 AM

I have to do a database restore from tape from a couple of months ago. When I look at the SQL scheduled task history all databases were sucesfully backed up to a .DAT file. However, when I look at the .DAT file which I have just retrieved from tape - the database which I am looking for isn't listed under the backup information, so I can't choose it to carry out the restore.

What do I do?

Thanks

Derek

dirk Guest

Restore problem - strange! (reply)

did you try restore with 'filelist', 'headeronly' and 'verifyonly' options to check contents of backup?

------------
    derek at 3/25/2002 6:42:23 AM

More strange things happening.

When ever I look at the .bak file through Enterprise Manager, the following error is recoreded in Event Viewer:

Mesg 18258 : dbsreadhdr: Read of first trailer failed : (null)

I can't find any record of this on Technet/Microsoft.

Any ideas? HELP!

------------
    derek at 3/25/2002 5:53:10 AM

What do I do?

Thanks

Derek