Thread: SQL7 Backup

Mtraore Guest

SQL7 Backup

I need to backup my sql7 through the network share.
    I have two servers both have SQL7 and only one has a backup tape drive (which is my production database). I want to be able to backup to the tape and to the a share drive on the second server. The backup to the tape work fine but if I want to backup to share drive locate to the second server I can't see the share where I want to put the backup. Do you Know what I am doing wrong ?

Thanks.
    Mtraore.

JUN Guest

SQL7 Backup (reply)

The following msg is copied from the SQL BOL:

Tape Devices
    Tape backup devices are used in the same way as disk devices, with the exception that:

The tape device must be connected physically to the computer running SQL Server.
    Backing up to remote tape devices is not supported.

If a tape backup device is filled during the backup operation, but more data still needs to be written, SQL Server prompts for a new tape and continues the backup operation.
    To back up SQL Server (or Microsoft Windows NT®) data to tape, use a tape backup device or tape drive supported by Windows NT. Additionally, use only the recommended tapes for the specific tape drive (as suggested by the drive manufacturer). For more information about installing a tape drive, see your Windows NT documentation.

I have 4 SQL Servers and only have one tape driver to use to back up the databases from all my servers. What I did to get around the problem for "Cannot backup remote server database" is to back up the databases from differet server to the disk of the server with tape drive, and then back up the backup files from disk to tape using a third part backup software.

Good Luck!

Jun

------------
    Mtraore at 11/17/00 11:00:57 AM

I need to backup my sql7 through the network share.
    I have two servers both have SQL7 and only one has a backup tape drive (which is my production database). I want to be able to backup to the tape and to the a share drive on the second server. The backup to the tape work fine but if I want to backup to share drive locate to the second server I can't see the share where I want to put the backup. Do you Know what I am doing wrong ?

Thanks.
    Mtraore.