Thread: Restoring master did not bring back users

Ed Spitzbarth Guest

Restoring master did not bring back users

I'm trying to recreate a sql database on another server and I installed sql server 6.5 on a server and then restored the master db using the Sql Setup program. It worked without any errors, but it did not create the loginthat will use the database that I have not restored yet. Aren't the Logins storied in the master database?

Thanks.

Mr. M Guest

Restoring master did not bring back users (reply)

As you are trying to restore the backup of one database(eg server A) to another server (eg server B) then it won't transfer the logins as you cann't restore master database of one server to another.

------------
    Ed Spitzbarth at 6/28/00 4:50:39 PM

I'm trying to recreate a sql database on another server and I installed sql server 6.5 on a server and then restored the master db using the Sql Setup program. It worked without any errors, but it did not create the loginthat will use the database that I have not restored yet. Aren't the Logins storied in the master database?

Thanks.

Craig Guest

Restoring master did not bring back users (reply)

If you restored through the setup program, then you restored master to the original configuration.

You need to dump the master on the source server, and restore that dump to your destination server. The logins are in there.......

------------
    Mr. M at 6/28/00 5:20:09 PM

As you are trying to restore the backup of one database(eg server A) to another server (eg server B) then it won't transfer the logins as you cann't restore master database of one server to another.

------------
    Ed Spitzbarth at 6/28/00 4:50:39 PM

Thanks.