Thread: Setup Sql Server job to execute VB exe

Sharon Chapman Guest

Setup Sql Server job to execute VB exe

I'm trying to setup SQL Server 7.0 to run a job that will execute a Visual Basic 6.0 exe project. Can someone tell me how to code
    this?

Mike John Guest

Setup Sql Server job to execute VB exe (reply)

All you should need to do is schedule a job to run a command, and make that command the name of the exe. Assuming the exe will run without a form - ie code in sub main and that specified as startup. If it tries to open a window there is no context for that window to be opened so that will not work.

HTH

Mike John

KnowledgePool Ltd

------------
    Sharon Chapman at 1/15/01 4:57:40 PM

I'm trying to setup SQL Server 7.0 to run a job that will execute a Visual Basic 6.0 exe project. Can someone tell me how to code
    this?

Brian Guest

Setup Sql Server job to execute VB exe (reply)

Dont forget that if you want your VB app to be able to do anything useful, it needs to run in a security context with enough rights. Most DBAs will set up the SQL Account with minimal rights on the file system. If you want your VB app to use GetSetting or SaveSetting, that reads and writes the registry under HKEY_CURRENT_USER.
    Hope this helps
    Brian

------------
    Mike John at 1/16/01 7:32:26 AM

All you should need to do is schedule a job to run a command, and make that command the name of the exe. Assuming the exe will run without a form - ie code in sub main and that specified as startup. If it tries to open a window there is no context for that window to be opened so that will not work.

HTH

Mike John

KnowledgePool Ltd

------------
    Sharon Chapman at 1/15/01 4:57:40 PM

this?