dcsimg
Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: SQL msg: "an unexpected error happened during this operation"

  1. #1
    David Singleton Guest

    SQL msg: "an unexpected error happened during this operation"

    I have W2K Adv, SQL 7 Enterprise in a workgroup with mixed security. The SQL installation is an almost entirely default install.

    At the console, in SQL Enterprise Manager, when I select open a database, open tables, select a table, open table, and select all rows the system displays "an unexpected error happened during this operation". As far as I know this has never worked on this installation.

    The error occurs with every logon account (including sa and local administrator accounts), both the "all rows or top row" options, every table, every database (including the customers database and the Northwind database).

    I have tried adding administrators and accounts as users of the databases etc. and given the accounts all the permissions I can dream up.

    There are no interesting messages in the event viewer. The SQL agent is running.

    Technet found two documents but not related to the problem.

    I can run SQL Analyzer and run "select * from table_name". That works on the Northwind and customer database tables - every time.

    Colleagues with other installations do not get the error, and their systems return the rows correctly.

    If any of you can help, I'd really appreciate it.


  2. #2
    MAK Guest

    SQL msg: "an unexpected error happened during this operation" (reply)

    I believe its an MDAC version problem.
    If it is a test Client,
    Try installing English query on it, it replcaes your old MDAC.
    -MAK


    ------------
    David Singleton at 11/1/00 12:01:24 PM

    I have W2K Adv, SQL 7 Enterprise in a workgroup with mixed security. The SQL installation is an almost entirely default install.

    At the console, in SQL Enterprise Manager, when I select open a database, open tables, select a table, open table, and select all rows the system displays "an unexpected error happened during this operation". As far as I know this has never worked on this installation.

    The error occurs with every logon account (including sa and local administrator accounts), both the "all rows or top row" options, every table, every database (including the customers database and the Northwind database).

    I have tried adding administrators and accounts as users of the databases etc. and given the accounts all the permissions I can dream up.

    There are no interesting messages in the event viewer. The SQL agent is running.

    Technet found two documents but not related to the problem.

    I can run SQL Analyzer and run "select * from table_name". That works on the Northwind and customer database tables - every time.

    Colleagues with other installations do not get the error, and their systems return the rows correctly.

    If any of you can help, I'd really appreciate it.


  3. #3
    Sejal Guest

    SQL msg: "an unexpected error happened during this operation" (reply)

    This happened to me once, It got resolved my restarting the server.

    Hope this works.

    Sejal


    ------------
    MAK at 11/1/00 3:32:47 PM

    I believe its an MDAC version problem.
    If it is a test Client,
    Try installing English query on it, it replcaes your old MDAC.
    -MAK


    ------------
    David Singleton at 11/1/00 12:01:24 PM

    I have W2K Adv, SQL 7 Enterprise in a workgroup with mixed security. The SQL installation is an almost entirely default install.

    At the console, in SQL Enterprise Manager, when I select open a database, open tables, select a table, open table, and select all rows the system displays "an unexpected error happened during this operation". As far as I know this has never worked on this installation.

    The error occurs with every logon account (including sa and local administrator accounts), both the "all rows or top row" options, every table, every database (including the customers database and the Northwind database).

    I have tried adding administrators and accounts as users of the databases etc. and given the accounts all the permissions I can dream up.

    There are no interesting messages in the event viewer. The SQL agent is running.

    Technet found two documents but not related to the problem.

    I can run SQL Analyzer and run "select * from table_name". That works on the Northwind and customer database tables - every time.

    Colleagues with other installations do not get the error, and their systems return the rows correctly.

    If any of you can help, I'd really appreciate it.


  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    1
    I have found the solution. This once happend to me 2-3 weeks ago when i unstall MS SQL 2000 on my machine and re-install it, later then when i used EM to open table rows from another DB Server, it then says "an unexpected error happened during this operation". After some hard googling for 2-3 days i did found the solution and the cause of this problem is related to some shared ddl file (i'm not sure whether it is corrupted or not registered properly). Uninstall it with Add-Remove Program may not help.

    Solution:
    (This is related to the client computer only. Nothing wrong with the server side or any permission settings)
    1. Manually uninstall MS SQL 2000 (or 7) and you have to completedly remove every shared dll from your computer. Follow this site for how to manually uninstall it
    MS SQL 2000 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290991
    MS SQL 7 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/276044
    2. Reinstall it again

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •