Thread: extended stored procs in Visual Basic? COM??

Judith Farber Abraham Guest

extended stored procs in Visual Basic? COM??

Is it possible to write extended stored procs in VB? I do not know C or C++ or Perl or whatever ....

How about calling a COM from a stroed procedure???

Thanks,
    Judith

Patrick Logan Guest

extended stored procs in Visual Basic? COM?? (reply)

Check SQL7 BOL (books online) for "OLE Automation" and the stored procedures which start with 'sp_OA%' like sp_OACreate.

HTH
    Patrick Logan, MCSD

------------
    Judith Farber Abraham at 8/2/00 7:47:58 AM

Is it possible to write extended stored procs in VB? I do not know C or C++ or Perl or whatever ....

Thanks,
    Judith

The COM stuff looks like a possiblity. Do you have any feeling if this is a good idea (SQL performance, resources) or just something that can be done and best done for sprocs that are not critical for on-line operation (if that is the right terminolgy)

Thanks,
    Judith

------------
    Patrick Logan at 8/2/00 12:31:51 PM

Check SQL7 BOL (books online) for "OLE Automation" and the stored procedures which start with 'sp_OA%' like sp_OACreate.

HTH
    Patrick Logan, MCSD

------------

Thanks,
    Judith

Patrick Logan Guest

Performance is fine depending on how implemented. Probably the biggest concern is with in-process components (DLLs). Since by nature they are in-process with the SQL Server engine, if the component crashes and is not handled properly it could bring down SQL Server. This can be alleviated, if needed, by using out-of-process components (ActiveX EXEs).

They're great for creating user-defined functions, but this is being negated by SQL2K's ability to create user-defined functions.

Try to minize object instantiation time and I'd avoid using them from within triggers.

My $0.02
    Patrick Logan, MCSD

------------
    Judith Farber Abraham at 8/2/00 4:41:59 PM

The COM stuff looks like a possiblity. Do you have any feeling if this is a good idea (SQL performance, resources) or just something that can be done and best done for sprocs that are not critical for on-line operation (if that is the right terminolgy)

Thanks,
    Judith

------------

HTH
    Patrick Logan, MCSD

------------

Thanks,
    Judith

Thanks, Patrick, that was exactly what I wanted to know. It is worth more a lot of $$$ to me!

Thanks again,
    Judith

------------
    Patrick Logan at 8/2/00 5:12:24 PM

Performance is fine depending on how implemented. Probably the biggest concern is with in-process components (DLLs). Since by nature they are in-process with the SQL Server engine, if the component crashes and is not handled properly it could bring down SQL Server. This can be alleviated, if needed, by using out-of-process components (ActiveX EXEs).

They're great for creating user-defined functions, but this is being negated by SQL2K's ability to create user-defined functions.

Try to minize object instantiation time and I'd avoid using them from within triggers.

My $0.02
    Patrick Logan, MCSD

------------
    Judith Farber Abraham at 8/2/00 4:41:59 PM

Thanks,
    Judith

------------

HTH
    Patrick Logan, MCSD

------------

Thanks,
    Judith