Thread: Logging changes to the database structure

Lia Guest

Logging changes to the database structure

Hi all!

I have a friend who is a contract developer working remotely for a company on a SQL Server + VB project. He is having difficulty because someone at the company is making changes to the database tables without informing him, and of course then there are numerous application errors. This has happened far too many times for him to dismiss it. Examples of these changes are changing field names, deleting fields, changing datatypes, even changing the server name. My question is does SQL Server automatically log changes to the database, and if so, how can this log be read?

Thanks!

Lia

Logging changes to the database structure (reply)

Yes it logs the changes. The only way I know of to actually read the file is
    to purcase a third party software package. I think a better solution would be to have a talk with the company he is contracted to and let them know that all these changes are adding to the scope of the project and therefore increasing there costs.

------------
    Lia at 12/27/00 3:01:23 PM

Hi all!

I have a friend who is a contract developer working remotely for a company on a SQL Server + VB project. He is having difficulty because someone at the company is making changes to the database tables without informing him, and of course then there are numerous application errors. This has happened far too many times for him to dismiss it. Examples of these changes are changing field names, deleting fields, changing datatypes, even changing the server name. My question is does SQL Server automatically log changes to the database, and if so, how can this log be read?

Thanks!

Lia

PTH Guest

Hi U,
    Why not use Database Roles or Server Roles?
    With these roles, he can put permission to any body in his company to do what he wants.
    (I'm sorry, my E is bad)

------------

Hi all!

Thanks!

Lia

Andrew Beaumont Guest

With V7, try:

Enterprise Manager -> Select Database
    -> Tools -> Database Scripting (has history of changes
    to DB)

Andrew

------------
    at 12/27/00 3:04:42 PM

Yes it logs the changes. The only way I know of to actually read the file is
    to purcase a third party software package. I think a better solution would be to have a talk with the company he is contracted to and let them know that all these changes are adding to the scope of the project and therefore increasing there costs.

------------

Hi all!

Thanks!

Lia