Thread: SQL Backup to a share on another machine

Jayson Hurd Guest

SQL Backup to a share on another machine

I am trying to configure a backup device in SQL 7 that is a share on another machine. When I do, it tells me it can't verify the drive. Then when I try to do a backup to it, I get some message that teh volume is "not part of a multifamily (RAID) media set"... I can map to the drive on the other machine by name just fine and the share is currently set to full control everyone...

Any ideas?

Gary Andrews Guest

SQL Backup to a share on another machine (reply)

Jayson, I don't have much to offer, but I am also interested in this topic.

I assume based on the way the question is asked that you are trying to do the backup
    using Sql Server rather than NT backup. Is this correct?

Are you trying to perform the backup using a maintenance plan (wizard generated)?

Are you trying to perform the backup using the "Backup" facility in EM (Enterprise Manger)?

Are you trying to perform the backup using T-SQL in Query Analyzer?

Answer and we will go from here.

------------
    Jayson Hurd at 11/6/00 12:44:21 PM

I am trying to configure a backup device in SQL 7 that is a share on another machine. When I do, it tells me it can't verify the drive. Then when I try to do a backup to it, I get some message that teh volume is "not part of a multifamily (RAID) media set"... I can map to the drive on the other machine by name just fine and the share is currently set to full control everyone...

Any ideas?

Jayson Hurd Guest

Hi Gary, I've tried it both from a maintenance plan and by manually starting it. I've also tried from two SQL boxes and to two different servers, but to no avail - I still get the same error.

Thanks,

Jayson

------------
    Gary Andrews at 11/6/00 1:38:54 PM

I assume based on the way the question is asked that you are trying to do the backup

Are you trying to perform the backup using a maintenance plan (wizard generated)?

Are you trying to perform the backup using the "Backup" facility in EM (Enterprise Manger)?

------------

Any ideas?

Jayson Hurd Guest

Hi Gary, I've tried it both from a maintenance plan and by manually starting it. I've also tried from two SQL boxes and to two different servers, but to no avail - I still get the same error.

Thanks,

Jayson

------------

------------

Any ideas?

Gary Andrews Guest

I found the following in BOL.

B. Add a network disk backup device

This example shows a remote disk backup device. The name under which SQL Server was started must have permissions
    to that remote file.

USE master

EXEC sp_addumpdevice 'disk', 'networkdevice',
    '\servernamesharenamepathfilename.ext'

May I suggest you try setting up a T-SQL job which:

1. Creates a "dumpdevice"
    2. Uses the BACKUP command specifying the use of the dumpdevice created.

Should this succeed, the T-SQL can be placed in a job for execution (assigned a
    schedule, etc.).

This would also imply the name under which SQLServerAgent (which runs jobs)
    was started must have permissions to that remote file.

------------
    Jayson Hurd at 11/6/00 1:46:15 PM

Thanks,

Jayson

------------

------------

Any ideas?

Jayson Hurd Guest

That did it! Thanks so much! I should have known it was permissions related. I used a domain admin account since it did not appear that I could give access to a remote machine's System account. Is it possible to give this access?

Thanks,

Jayson
    ------------
    Gary Andrews at 11/6/00 2:34:45 PM

This example shows a remote disk backup device. The name under which SQL Server was started must have permissions
    to that remote file.

USE master

schedule, etc.).

------------

Thanks,

Jayson

------------

------------

Any ideas?

Gary Andrews Guest

Knowing the Ins and Outs of NT is not one of my strengths, but I'll give this a shot.

An NT disk can be formatted in as a "fat" or "NTFS" type of drive.

Setting up a share on a disk which is formatted as a "fat" type of drive allows full
    read/write capability to network users of that defined share.

Setting up a share on a disk which is formatted as a "NTFS" type of drive is not
    exactly the same. In general the share can allow full read/write to users of the network.
    For NTFS types of drives, permissions apply to folders as well as drives.
    Files contained with the folder, and sub-folders can have different permissions.

As a hierarchy is traversed, I believe the most restrictive permissions apply to the
    use of the share.

Additionally, folders can be setup to not allow you to see their files and sub-folders.

In either case the share should be created on the machine which is going to "share"
    its resources.

Therefore if the "share" permissions are account specific, then make sure you use
    the correct "supporting" account on the SQL Server machine. The reverse of this
    is to make sure the "share" machine permissions are specific to the SQL Server
    account being used.

HTHs Gary.

------------
    Jayson Hurd at 11/6/00 4:56:03 PM

That did it! Thanks so much! I should have known it was permissions related. I used a domain admin account since it did not appear that I could give access to a remote machine's System account. Is it possible to give this access?

Thanks,

Jayson
    ------------
    Gary Andrews at 11/6/00 2:34:45 PM

to that remote file.

USE master

schedule, etc.).

------------

Thanks,

Jayson

------------

------------

Any ideas?