Thread: import text

Bob G Guest

import text

We are trying to import a fixed length text file. It has two fields. The first is ten characters, the second is the rest of the row, which may be several hundred characters. Each row is terminated by a {lf}{cr}
    The problem is the DTS text import utility. It generates a red line (column seperator) at the 85 character mark. This causes the second field to wrap. We can not move this line, or delete it.
    Any idea what is going on?

Ed Harling Guest

import text (reply)

I don't know what's going on, but you could try importing the text into an intermediate format, for example Excel, which SQL can also import. You can use Excel to get the data into the required format, and then import it instead.

Ed Harling,
    ESP Ltd.

------------
    Bob G at 11/9/00 8:41:46 AM

We are trying to import a fixed length text file. It has two fields. The first is ten characters, the second is the rest of the row, which may be several hundred characters. Each row is terminated by a {lf}{cr}
    The problem is the DTS text import utility. It generates a red line (column seperator) at the 85 character mark. This causes the second field to wrap. We can not move this line, or delete it.

Bob G Guest

import text (reply)

Tried that. There appears to be a limit of about 254 characters per field. Our second field is wider that that

------------
    Ed Harling at 11/9/00 9:50:33 AM

I don't know what's going on, but you could try importing the text into an intermediate format, for example Excel, which SQL can also import. You can use Excel to get the data into the required format, and then import it instead.

Ed Harling,
    ESP Ltd.

------------

LAURA Guest

import text (reply)

WHERE YOU SUCCESSFUL IN THIS ? I AM HAVING A SIMILAR PROBLEM. PLS HELP ME

------------
    Bob G at 11/9/00 10:19:33 AM

Tried that. There appears to be a limit of about 254 characters per field. Our second field is wider that that

------------

Ed Harling,
    ESP Ltd.

------------

Bob G Guest

import text (reply)

We had tried usins Access to import the table, under the assuption that the import engine there and in Excel were the same. Apparently they aren't. Using Exel seems to work. I don't know what the upper limit on a text width is for Excel, and I don't know what the problem was in DTS.

------------
    LAURA at 11/17/00 1:20:45 AM

------------

------------

Ed Harling,
    ESP Ltd.

------------

ganesh Guest

import text (reply)

Please try the following.

1. In access import the text file as follows
    a. Field1 is text
    b. Field2 is a memo

2. Now import from access to SQl server.

Hope this works

------------
    Bob G at 11/17/00 11:35:50 AM

We had tried usins Access to import the table, under the assuption that the import engine there and in Excel were the same. Apparently they aren't. Using Exel seems to work. I don't know what the upper limit on a text width is for Excel, and I don't know what the problem was in DTS.

------------

------------

------------

Ed Harling,
    ESP Ltd.

------------

Bob G Guest

import text (reply)

Tried that, didn't work.

------------
    ganesh at 11/17/00 11:50:21 AM

a. Field1 is text
    b. Field2 is a memo

Hope this works

------------

------------

------------

------------

Ed Harling,
    ESP Ltd.

------------

laura Guest

import text (reply)

Is your poblem resolved. I have resolved mine. let me know whether you need a hand
    Laura

------------
    Bob G at 11/17/00 11:56:27 AM

Tried that, didn't work.

------------

a. Field1 is text
    b. Field2 is a memo

Hope this works

------------

------------

------------

------------

Ed Harling,
    ESP Ltd.

------------

Bob G Guest

import text (reply)

We have a work around by importing through Excel. How did you solve it?

------------
    laura at 12/11/00 12:34:00 AM

Is your poblem resolved. I have resolved mine. let me know whether you need a hand
    Laura

------------
    Bob G at 11/17/00 11:56:27 AM

Tried that, didn't work.

------------

a. Field1 is text
    b. Field2 is a memo

Hope this works

------------

------------

------------

------------

Ed Harling,
    ESP Ltd.

------------